Monday, June 14, 2010

The Joys and Woes of Mealtime, Teething, and Pink Eye

Lately we have been having some difficulty again with Owen's eating.  Starting with the last day of our trip out in California a week and a half ago and continuing until this weekend he almost stopped eating all together. . . . well I guess that is an exaggeration:-)  But he did continue to eat less and less (although his night time sleep was not being inturrupted)  One thing that I knew was bothering him was the continuation and escalation of teething. . . . I think he is getting much closer to cutting those first two teeth up front, and I think it has been uncomfortable to eat (poor baby).  And then when I talked to his therapist at his visit, she also mentioned that the way babies tongues work during sucking changes between six and nine months (the things you learn), and that he may be transistioning and it is probably frustrating to him as he learns again how to use his tongue.  So for about a week we pulled him off his solids to focus again on getting enough milk and the last two days we have slipped nicely back into our schedule, and tonight we tried cereal again and to our delight he loved it and remembered what to do:-)  Time for mom to break out the Babycook and get crackin!

As to the teething, my cousin Tara reccomended some tablets that really work for him, and he has been really enjoying his "Sophie" in addition to his "Bugs in a Jar" and cool teething rings. . . . it is bittersweet for me.  I want the teeth to come for the excitement and also to relieve his discomfort, but then my gummy baby smile will be gone forever. . .

And my poor baby woke up from his late afternoon nap on Saturday with pink eye:-(  Poor baby was really uncomfortable.  Luckily we recognized it right away . . . . he woke up from his nap and his right eye was bloodshot with tons of boogers, so we called our pediatricians office and since he was over 4 months old the called the drops in and we didn't have to go to the hospital . . . . . they and we try to avoid that at all costs because of his immune system, and after the first round of drops he was much better. So he will be on the drops until Friday.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are so good to seek help/advice right away, when you need it. Hope his pink eye gets better soon- I heard the drops really work quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink eye sucks! I love our Dr's office too, they are so understanding and accomodating. It's so funny that all most of my Momma friends go to our Dr's office.

    I highly recommend the teething drops from Sprouts. I think the brand is Borin or Camila (there is only one brand) and it's all natural. We still use them on occasion for Matix's teethin.

    We hope to see you guys soon. Maybe we can have you over for lunch or dinner soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete