Thursday, April 14, 2011

March for Babies Rain or Shine!!

Lissette, Eric, Matix, Kevin, Kellan, Bri, Me, Angela, Chad, Remie, Owen, Eric, Chris, Kat and Brian
Okay, so we woke up this morning to freezing temperatures and rain!!!!!!!!!!!  WTF Phoenix, don't you know we have plans today:-P  No matter, we bundled up, babies and all and all trekked out for a 5K walk in support of healthy babies!  Kat saved the day with about 10 garbage bags that we used to cover exposed blanket on the strollers.  Owen had his orange down jacket, two thick blankets, and then a garbage bag like a sleeping bag to keep him warm and dry.  Our very good friends The Creels had a sick baby and couldn't make it out to join us, we were bummed, but completely understood, I just wish Mike in particular had been able to see the shirts all together in person, but hopefully the photo does it justice, it took a lot of nerve for us to unzip our jackets, and it was hard because our hands were numb! 

I didn't go to the walk last year because Owen was still too small, so it was a new experience for me.  We saw a couple of Liam's nurses there and Sue (Liam's first Primary Nurse almost since day one of life) had Liam's name on the back of her shirt, which brought me to tears.  It was very moving to look at other people's team shirts with names and gestational ages of babies, lots of shirts in memorium of lost souls.  I saw a team shirt with two sets of tiny footprints with angel wings and it said always in our hearts our sweet angels and had the short dates of their little lives.  It really humbled me, and was a strong reminder of how lucky I am to have Owen in my life, I could have a shirt like that, and I don't. 

We're in Phoenix?  Seriously?!

Amber on the left was there to hand Liam back to God in his last moments, and Sue his first primary wiped snot and tears from my face with her own shirt when I held him for the last time.


Anyhow, looking at our team photo, I am again humbled and grateful to have such loving friends and family that will come out to support us and such a deserving cause even in foul weather, I never seem to be able to find a word stronger than thank you, but to all our friends and especially to Mike Creel and Pink Mouse for designing and printing such a kick ass shirt, thank you.  Thank you, Thank you Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

2 comments:

  1. You are one of the strongest families I have ever known. How lucky we all are to have Owen and Liam's lives and story as part of our daily lessons to be grateful. Owen and Liam remind me constantly not to take my family for granted. I admire your ability to write and talk about your experience as a mother, Martina. Your household is lucky to have a mom like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and I love these photos! Makes me sad again that I was out of town and unable to be there with everyone! I miss you all and can't wait to see you soon (I hope)!

    ReplyDelete