Friday, May 7, 2010

Bringing Owen Home

Finally after 109 days in the hospital and only one false start we brought Owen home!  A last minute echocardiogram showed signs of pulmonary hypertension so he was sent home on supplemental oxygen and a pulse-oximeter.  After the anxiety over having the O2 in the house diminished I was so excited.  And terrified.  I had gotten used to seeing a doctor at anytime 24 hours a day and having expert nurses to care for not only my baby but for me, and I was leaving all of that behind.  We got him all strapped into his carseat and walked out the door to the NICU only to have him desat steps away from the door, so we rushed back in . . . . . turns out we didn't have his oxygen open all the way!  Okay, take two we made it home.

For the first few days we basically played hospital keeping him on the same schedule, purell flying everywhere. . . .then things relaxed a little and I let him pick his schedule. 

Even though we were on house arrest we were driving all over town for his various follow up and therapy appointments. . . . I think we averaged 3 a week for the first few weeks and then 2 a week and now it is about 2 or 3 a month . . .hopefully with DDD which is Division of Developmental Delays (Owen qualifies for this federal program because of his gestational age at birth and his low birthweight . . . he is "at risk") we will have in home occupational and physical therapy set up soon.

You can see a little smile on Owie's face!

I know this is a nutshell but I'd rather get to more exciting topics and start posting more current stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment